Saturday 11 January 2014

Pretty Pink Nails / Tutorial

I love having my nails painted. It's probably because I used to be a constant nail-biter until a few years ago when I suddenly developed a worse habit and completely forgot about chewing my nails down to the skin. So considering I never used to paint my nails, I love having them done now. To many people my nails definitely wouldn't be classed as long, but to me they're amazing.

I decided to start the year off with a pale, spring colour instead of a dark colour like most people are wearing at the moment. I'm so excited for the weather to stop being cold, I would Jane said that I'm excited for the warm weather but in England that's a very rare occurrence.

Anyway, on with the tutorial...


I started off by removing the nail varnish I already had on. As you can see, it's badly chipped, but I'd had it on for the whole of the 2 week Christmas holidays and couldn't be bothered redoing them until now. 
I'm not a big fan of the nail varnish remover that I use, and although it says its for sensitive nails, it leaves mine feeling very dry and uneven as you can probably see in the picture below.


I then apply a base coat to stop them looking so dry and strengthen them. The one I've just started using is by Collection and I would really recommend it. I don't see the point in spending a huge amount of money on nail polish, and why would I need to when this one does the job. Hopefully you can see the difference between these 2 photos so you can appreciate how much better this base coat makes my nails look and feel.


I next apply my chosen nail varnish. This one is by Collection and is in the shade Candy Floss. I definitely would not recommend this product, it needed 3 coats to make it opaque and I could already see it beginning to chip after 1 day. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as its only cheap, but when the base coat was so good I didn't really expect the actual nail varnish to be so rubbish. If you just needed your nails painting for 1 night then this might be a good choice as the colour on your nails at the end is true to the colour in the bottle, but if you're wearing it for a longer period of time then don't get your hopes up. 


I finish by applying a top coat to each nail to add a shine and attempt to make the nail varnish last longer. This top coat is by Rimmel and is ancient. I'm sure there are better top coats, but just like the base coat it does the job that its required for. And we're left with the finished product...



I am most certainly not a professional when it comes to applying nail varnish but I hope I've at least given you some advice as to which brands not to buy nail polish from.

Please let me know any tips you have for painting your nails.

The Top Coat is no longer available. 


No comments:

Post a Comment